The Environmental Protection and Waste Management Department (EPWMD) launched on Monday April 25, 2011, a song writing contest entitled “Himig Barangay para sa Kalikasan.” The project aims to showcase local talents on creating meaningful songs with environmental themes.
Submission of Entries:
- The contest id open to all professional and amateur songwriters ages 18 and above. Interested participants should be bonafide and legitimate of Quezon City. The Barangay will guarantee the legality of the participant within their jurisdiction.
- Each songwriter or collaboration of songwriters can only submit one entry.
- Song entries must be written in Filipino or in English and must focus on Quezon City’s vision of a clean, green and pleasant environment.
- The songwriter may choose to represent his/her composition in any type of music genre he/she prefers(ballad, rock, hip-hop, etc.), as long as the song does not exceed 5 minutes.
- Once the composers submit their song piece, they automatically waive their rights to their composition in favor of the Quezon City government.
- Each entry should be endosed by their barangay as one of their (barangay) official entries. Official endorsement form will also serve as guarantee that the participant is a legitimate resident of his/her barangay. Entries without their barangay’s endorsement will not be accepted.
- Together with the endorsement letter from the barangay, interested parties should submit the following:
- 3 Demo CDs of the original song composition
- Three typewritten copies of the lyrics of the song with the title of the song
- Name and contact details of the composer and singer
- Complete residential address
- The participants should place the above requirements in a sealed long brown envelope and submitted to the EPWMD office on or before May 20. At the back of the envelope, the title of the song, the name of the songwriter/s and their barangay must be indicated.
Selection of Winning Entries
- From all the submitted entries, five (5) judges composed of professional composer/s, music professor/s and personalty/ies from the music industry shall only select 12 entries that will compete for the finals. The judging process shall be audited by an authorized third party.
- Each shall be informed on or before June 3.
- They will automatically receive cash prizes and their songs will also be performed in June, as part of the celebration of the Environment Month.
- The finalists may perform their own song or they may opt to have their songs performed by a professional or amateur soloist, group or band. Professional fees of the singers shall be shouldered by the composer.
- The criteria for judging the song piece are as follows:
- The winning entries and the barangays they represent shall receive the following cash prizes:
- Costs of transportation/attendance to the event and other expenses related to the contest shall be shouldered by the participant.
- The decision of the board of judges is final.
Environmental Protection and Waste Management Department (EPWMD) 3rd Floor, City Treasurer’s Annex Building, Quezon City hall Compound, Diliman Q.C.
Contact Number 444-7272 locaL 8348, look for Ms. Lea Siy or Mr. Jack Guevarra.
Note: No part of this post is edited. Full article is from QC’s website.